samba-tool testparm vs testparm (was: Re: Legacy binaries with AD DC role)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Jan 5 15:25:12 MST 2014

On Fri, 2014-01-03 at 17:03 +0100, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:
> Hi Ricky,
>
> > Hey all, I have seen a few cases where people get confused on when to use
> > samba-tool vs smbpasswd or regular testparm vs samba-tool testparm. The
> > attached patch adds errors to smbpasswd, testparm, and smbcontrol when the
> > server role is Active Directory Domain Controller. Please advise if
> > additional files should be handled in a similar manner.
>
> This is at least wrong for smbcontrol, but I think the others should also
> work. Just testparm needs to be fixed and the fix is to merge the
> loadparm code.

That's correct, and the work that Garming Sam is doing to reconcile and
autogenerate the code in this area should make a big difference.  We
don't have finished patches yet (beyond the one to rename some internal
variables), but he has already found and fixed a lot of the incorrect
defaults (both between source3/4 and many, many more in the docs).

http://samba.org/~abartlet/