Zero Copy writes for Samba

Kuhn, Steven skuhn at qca.qualcomm.com
Wed Feb 26 14:59:35 MST 2014

Ok.  Thank you for the reference.

Steve

From: Jeremy Allison [jra at samba.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 1:51 PM
To: Kuhn, Steven
Cc: Jeremy Allison; samba-technical at samba.org
Subject: Re: Zero Copy writes for Samba

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:48:16PM +0000, Kuhn, Steven wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> I do not know if I have a modified kernel that fixes splice performance.  I have the OpenWrt 3.4.0 distribution.

Then you don't :-).

> What should I look for in the kernel to see if it has the modifications you are referring to?

No distribution has such a modified splice. Some
NAS products have experimented with this, but
no fixes have ever been deemed good or safe
enough to go into the mainline kernel.

> Can you point me to the kernel modifications to add myself?

There aren't any, that's the point :-(.

You're better off without splice. Use the aio_pthread
VFS module instead.