samba_backup error and restoring old backup files

elyad alaei elysmb4 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:04:26 MST 2014

> On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org
>wrote:

> > > On Sun, 2014-02-16 at 12:15 +0330, elyad alaei wrote:
> > So is it safe to take backup online? as much as I remember, it often
> failed
> > to create "sysvol" and "etc" when I didn't stop samba before running
> > samba_backup!
>
> If it failed to create these files, it is because it failed.  Check the
> output of the script, you now see errors - these are almost certainly
> why it 'missed' these directories, it existed early, but you never
> noticed the error code.
>
> > Isn't there any way to check their (the  "samba4_private" file's)
> > integrity?
>
> dbcheck might help, but if tdbbackup fails, then it implies some pretty
> serious low level corruption, or some other serious error that needs to
> be investigated.

You mean, backup files can be corrupt even if dbcheck succeeds?!

> > We have not changed any GP settings since then, so it would not be the
> > issue, but our users may have been changed their passwords so we would
> like
> > to use the latest backups, if possible.
> >

> > > At this point to assist further I need to understand what the state is
> > > of your main database.  Do you still have it?  Does it pass a
> > > 'samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs'?  Does running the backup script
> > > manually work?
> > >

> > Our domain still is under production and the output of 'samba-tool
> dbcheck
> > --cross-ncs' is:
> > Checking 5156 objects
> > Checked 5156 objects (0 errors)
> >

> Those errors are a genuine concern.  We need to better understand why
> they occur.

Can I do anything to help (like giving more details)?!
I think, in this situation, the best solution is to restore the backups of
31 DEC, where all 3 files were created ( "samba4_private", "sysvol",
"etc")?! Can it cause any login problem for users (I don't mean for those
who have changed their passwords)?!

Elyad Alaei

Andrew Bartlett