How to avoid client timeout.(SMB2 ECHO Request)

Fri Feb 7 04:09:03 MST 2014

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 11:13:00PM -0800, sandeep nag wrote:
> @Richard: Thank you, for the reply.
>
> Yes, sometimes in cases where box is in space-out situation, back-end
> write/truncate does take more that 60 sec in our back-end.
> Now in such scenarios where back-end is taking long time  > 60 sec, can we
> keep the samba connection alive by responding to Echo SMB2/CIFS client
> packets.
> Can we do this in VFS plugin reply function such as
> ocafs_ocafs_reply_commom().

We're having a similar problem with the FAT filesystem in
Linux. The only real way around this is to make the
ftruncate call asynchronous, similar to pread and pwrite.
This itself is pretty easy, it is complicated by the fact
that we have to adapt all the users of ftruncate.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de