Aw: Re: samba4 and bind9 - dynamic udpdates not working anymore

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 03:53:38 MST 2014

On 27/12/14 10:15, Karl Haue wrote:
>   Conf files are OK - the Dynamic Update worked since May this year and I
> compared this files already with the files on my backup - nothing is changed.
>
> I think samba cannot write into the database files.
>
> It is possible to write into the files,
> because in DNS Snapin of Windows mmc
> I can add and delete an entry without any problems.
>
> Perhaps something is wrong with my restored database files.
>
> But how can I check this or better repair this without installing a new
> samba4 and bind9 on a fresh installation?
>
> At the moment everything works finde,
> only Dynamic Update is the problem.
>

> Best regards
>
> Karl

You could try adding 'allow dns updates = nonsecure' to smb.conf on the
DC and restarting samba.

I am not sure if this will work, as it is meant for the internal dns
server, but it is worth trying. It is really only a stop gap measure as
if it does work, you will now allow everybody and his dog to update your
dns records.

Rowland