[SOLVED-ish] unable to grant print operator privileges + workaround

David Mansfield samba at dm.cobite.com
Wed Dec 24 09:44:44 MST 2014

On 12/24/2014 10:45 AM, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 6:41 AM, David Mansfield <samba at dm.cobite.com> wrote:

>>> I agree something is wrong, but not selinux! I already disabled it.
>>>

>> Well, I have it "working"... still something wrong but maybe you can help me
>> now.  The command in the wiki is:
>>
>> net rpc rights grant 'SAMDOM\Domain Admins' SePrintOperatorPrivilege
>> -Uadministrator
>>
>> But what ended up working for me was with "-Uroot".  It lets me set password
>> for 'Administrator' and 'root' as separate entities (samba-tool user
>> setpassword) and authenticate ON THE DC with that user, but none of the
>> member servers see the 'Administrator' user, and instead they only see
>> 'root'.
>
> This sounds like you do not have an Administrator account on that
> machine or you do not know the password or there are logon
> restrictions of some sort.
>
> The log should show why the logon as Administrator failed. Sometimes
> it is because of a lack of a mapping from SIDs to UIDs/GIDs, etc.

How does a machine level Administrator account (MACHINE\Administrator)
get created for a member server?  There's a domain level administrator
(DOMAIN\Administrator), but it sounds like that's not the same thing.
Also, for "net rpc rights", how can UID/GID mapping come into play?
There are no UNIX creds here, it's pure "windows" level stuff, right?

I'm using security = ads, and there's no winbind because 'sssd' is being
used.

Thanks,
David