how best to demote a DC that is powered off

David Mansfield samba at dm.cobite.com
Tue Dec 23 19:10:53 MST 2014

Hi All,

I'm not sure how to proceed having read the various warnings on the
wiki.  I have a DC which was to be decomissioned, but unfortunately it
was powered down before being demoted.

To complicate the bungling, it held some FSMO roles which have been
seized with (one with --force) to another DC.

The wiki warns that removing using ADUC will create a potential memory
leak situation on the remaining DC leading to OOM.  However, my DC is
functional and can be brought online.  It's been off about a week and as
I mentioned before had the FSMO roles seized while powered off.

Any recommendations on next steps?

--
Thanks,
David Mansfield