[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Poornima Gurusiddaiah pgurusid at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 05:34:40 MST 2014

Hi,

Thank You for the inputs.
My reply is inline.

Regards,
Poornima

----- Original Message -----

We can implement the protocol for read/write in vfs_plugin itself using teventfds
by using the pthreadpool, you have mentioned.

> Is it really the case that the result of an async call pops up in another
> library-created thread? That's at least unusual I'd say :-)

Yes:) the result of async call pops up in another thread, but in Samba, the
async call pop up should be in the same thread else it will lead to corruption.
That is why all the pthread and eventfd code.

> If the library is thread-safe, I'd rather go and wrap the normal pread
> calls in a pthreadpool. Sync calls should not trigger new threads
> to appear. This way we have control over the threads and can use
> pthreadpool. Would that be a way to do it?

Yes, pthreadpool can be used to get the async behavior. Ira tried replacing
eventfd with pipe and getting away with pthread() calls, if this doesn't work
we might have to explore using the pthreadpool.

> > I can see ways to eliminate the locking and eventfd code, using pipes, but
> > beyond that, I don't see much we can do here.  The issue there will be
> > making sure we maintain the performance of the current implementation.
>
> pthreadpool might not have the best performance for queueing, but at least
> it does not malloc per job. It uses condition variables and mutexes,
> the standard technique here. I've tried to get something lock-free to
> queue jobs, but this seems pretty difficult to do. I'm willing to steal
> ideas from libgfapi here :-)

libgfapi doesn't use lock-free mechanism to queue jobs. Glusterfs, when the top
layer libgfapi/Fuse is removed is asynchronous by nature, the Glusterfs client
queues the rpc requests to the server and server wakes the poll when the rpc
is done. libgfapi/Fuse uses mutex/cond variable to get the synchronous behavior.
Hope this answers, if not i can elaborate more on this.

> Also, in case libpfapi does caching itself, we might benefit from a
> similar idea that is happening in linux kernel land with preadv2 right
> now: Try a nonblocking sync call first and only if it blocks use the
> thread pool.

libgfapi does caching to some extent. I will have to explore more on preadv2
to be able to answer this.

> In the discussion about nested event loops Tridge once told me that I
> don't understand the nature of concurrency. There might be some truth
> to it: I'm scared of threads and want to keep away from them as far as
> possible. For example take a look at d8af3e76a362: This makes the job
> executed in the thread a simple syscall again. unix_dgram_send_job()
> is so obviously simple and free of any data locking problems that it's
> easy to reason about. Same for asys_pread_do and the other jobs in
> lib/asys. I'm willing to go a long way to keep it that way.

Will work on getting away with the pthread calls in the vfs module.