SHARED MODULES BROKEN pdb: Increase version number to fix ABI

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Dec 17 08:35:10 MST 2014

Hi Alexander,

>>> NACK to Garming's patch. The problem with it is that it doesn't solve
>>> the problem, it only makes it worse.
>>
>> How so?
> Somehow I used wrong patch, my apologies. :(
> With the patch that changes to grouping library I'm getting the same
> output as with my patch:

Yes, the resulting symbols are the same with both patches.

>>> As you can see, there is one place where the unit with
>>> smb_register_passdb is defined (pdb_interface_28.o) and it is linked
>>> into libsamba-passdb.so which is then used by all other code.
>>
>> Does your approach change the on-disk layout or affect the runtime init
>> code?  I would have loved to just do the global rename - and if we do,
>> please drop the 'pdb' subsystem entirely - but when I first looked into
>> this back at the time the original bug was filed, it seemed that the
>> "subsystem" argument was being used for more than just linking rules.
> No, on-disk layout doesn't change with regards to the code use between
> the last Garming's patch and mine.

That's not true, which your patch the result is the following:

ls /home/metze/devel/prefix/samba3-waf/usr/lib/samba/samba-passdb/ -la
insgesamt 320
drwxrws---  2 metze metze   4096 Dez 17 16:23 .
drwxrws--- 13 metze metze   4096 Dez 17 16:23 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 metze metze 290048 Dez 17 16:23 pdb_ldapsam.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 metze metze  26424 Dez 17 16:23 pdb_test.so

The directory changed and the 'pdb_' prefix isn't removed anymore.

While we still use smb_probe_module("pdb", module_name), which won't be
able to find
the modules.

Before and with Garming's fix it looks like this:

metze at SERNOX14:~/devel/samba/3.X/masterF$ ls
/home/metze/devel/prefix/samba3-waf/usr/lib/samba/pdb/ -la
insgesamt 320
drwxrws---  2 metze metze   4096 Dez 17 16:29 .
drwxrws--- 13 metze metze   4096 Dez 17 16:29 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 metze metze 290048 Dez 17 16:29 ldapsam.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 metze metze  26424 Dez 17 16:29 test.so

I'd prefer to just take the simple fix from garming to fix the real problem
and get this changes into v4-2-test.

If really needed we can improve things in master later.

metze