Setting up CTDB on OCFS2 and VMs ...

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Tue Dec 16 13:37:33 MST 2014

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 18:38:31 +0100, Stefan Kania
<stefan at kania-online.de> wrote:

> Am 16.12.14 um 15:27 schrieb Rowland Penny:
> > On 16/12/14 13:12, Stefan Kania wrote: Hi Rowland,

> > Remeber that you have ti install "ethtool" on all nodes!

> >> What do mean remember? I haven't seen it anywhere that you must
> >> install ethtool, It is installed anyway :-D

> I had an error-massage on the node without ethtool, and the nodes were
> unhealty. After I installaed ethtool it worked for me and the
> error-message was gone.

Here are the dependencies for the current ctdb package in Debian
testing/unstable:

  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.8), libpopt0 (>= 1.14), libtalloc2 (>= 2.0.4~git20101213), libtdb1 (>= 1.3.0), libtevent0 (>= 0.9.16), lsb-base, iproute2, psmisc, tdb-tools, time, sudo
  Recommends: ethtool
  Suggests: logrotate, lsof, libctdb-dev

So it recommends ethtool.  I guess this is because you can use CTDB
without public addresses (e.g. with LVS).  That seems sane.

I seem to remember that you have to try hard in Debian to switch off
automatic installation of recommended packages, since doing so indicates
that you know what you're doing.  I do this on my machines because I
like to keep them lightweight and I occasionally know what I'm
doing.  ;-)

So, on Debian that dependency looks sane.

More generally, you could argue that someone should extract the
dependencies that we have in our RPM spec file and put them in an
"INSTALL" file or somewhere on the wiki.

peace & happiness,
martin