Setting up CTDB on OCFS2 and VMs ...

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sat Dec 13 02:02:07 MST 2014

[+CC: Mathieu]

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 09:21:57 -0500, ronnie sahlberg
<ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM, Rowland Penny <repenny241155 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/12/14 18:32, ronnie sahlberg wrote:

> >> 2, create a missing directory
> >> mkdir -p /var/lib/run/ctdb
> >

> > Why is there a missing directory, sounds like a bug to me.
>
> Yepp it definitely is.
> There is something wrong with the deb package that at least ubuntu
> 14.10 ships with since it does not create required directory
> structure.
> Should open a bug with debian and/or ubuntu so that their folks that
> package this can fix the bug.

The main issue here is not a missing directory.  It is this in
debian/rules:

conf_args = \
		--localstatedir=/var/lib \
		--with-socketpath=/var/run/ctdb/ctdbd.socket \
		--with-logdir=/var/log/ctdb \
		--enable-pmda

I don't understand why --localstatedir isn't isn't /var.  :-(
If /var is used then the missing directory problem goes away
because /var/run/ctdb/ is used as expected.

Similarly, I couldn't find the log file until I re-read Ronnie's email,
and the reason is also above.  Sure, the log can go into /var/log/ctdb/
but then things like /usr/sbin/ctdbd_wrapper need to be edited
correspondingly.  Right now ctdbd_wrapper logs a message at startup
saying that syslog isn't being used and that logs can be found
in /var/log/log.ctdb...  but that's not where they are.

I've reported the issue of --localstatedir=/var/lib resulting in a
missing directory as a grave bug:

Hopefully that means it can be fixed for jessie.

I'll leave it to someone else to report the log location issue.

peace & happiness,
martin