Setting up CTDB on OCFS2 and VMs ...

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 14:11:53 MST 2014

On 12/12/14 20:52, Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> I am really sorry that you are frustrated.
> Pleas keep on!

Frustrated might just be an understatement :-D

> We do try to document stuff, but clusters with
> ctdb is still an area that is not done by
> the average admin. And there are not so many
> people working on the code, so as usual,
> documentation sadly lacks behind.
>
> Someone like you, who with the help of us devs
> finally gets to a working system, might help
> us in the end to improve the docs! :-)

ER, thats why I am trying to get to work, then I can update the samba wiki.

> Clustering also relies on a whole additional
> area which is the corresponding cluster file
> systems used underneath, which makes it difficult
> to have comprehensive documentation for a
> concrete setup.
>
> That being said, there is documentation out
> there, but not necessarily terribly up to date,
> and not precisely what you want.

Yes, I think I have read most of it :-)

> On the samba wiki, there is the generic but
> somewhat superficial
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup
>
> and as a specific example the GFS/CTDB/Samba howto:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/GFS_CTDB_HowTo
>
> which is of course redhat-cluster/gfs specific as
> far as the file system is concerned.
>
> The manual pages of ctdb are also pretty good by now!
>
> It is true that Debian is especially rare in
> these clustered Samba docs. This is due to
> the fact, that for a long time, there was no
> big focus on cluster file systems in Debian.

Setting up the cluster on Debian seems to be easier than on redhat, I
don't have to compile anything. The problems only start when I try to
setup CTDB.

> A couple of years ago, I have given a couple
> of talks and courses about clustered Samba
> partly also using Debian and Gluster, but also
> RedHat and GFS. My 2010 notes
>
> http://www.samba.org/~obnox/presentations/sambaXP-2010/sambaxp-2010-tutorial-ctdb-handout.pdf
>
> even contain some note on what is different
> and needs to be considered on a Debian systems.
> (The main difference is that /etc/default is
> used instead of /etc/sysconfig by most packages.)
>
> At that time, OCFS2 was not yet ready for
> CTDB/Samba, and GlusterFS was mainly available
> in Debian, but did not perform very well.
> Now Gluster has been taken on by RedHat, and
> I think we can expect updates from that corner in the
> nearer future.
>
> Here is a paper explaining some of the
> fundamentals of CTDB and the basic configuration
> of CTDB and clustered samba on Top.
>
> http://www.samba.org/~obnox/presentations/sambaXP-2009/samba-and-ctdb.pdf
>
> And a pretty similar article from Linux Magazine:
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2009/105/Samba-for-Clusters
>
> and an accompanying one on registry configuration:
>
> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2009/105/Samba-s-Registry
>
> Some of the details need to be checked because the
> info is 4-5 years old, but the basics are still
> correct.
>
> As a last but possibly important remark (for those
> who have not fallen asleep by now ;-) let me
> mention that as far as I know, Stefan Kania
> (whom I have copied in this reply, since I am not
> certain that he is subscribed to the list) is currently
> working on a reproducible setup with Debian/Gluster/CTDB/Samba.
> Maybe he can give some insight on the specialities of
> a CTDB setup on current Debian.

If he could chime in, it would be very welcome.

> I apologize for having pointed mainly to my own
> writings, but at the time I have undertaken some
> considerable efforts to create some documentation
> and explanations, so I hope this is of any use. :-)
>
> Cheers - Michael
>
> PS: Also, you are asking why Ronnie suggests a single node
> cluster.
> Because it is always good to start out with a simple case.
> And once you mastered that, move on to more complicated things.
> And you can even see most config points in that 1-node cluster.

OK. I can take a hint, I will start again with one node :-)

Rowland