Setting up CTDB on OCFS2 and VMs ...

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Fri Dec 12 04:08:09 MST 2014

On 12/12/14 11:36, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 11/12/14 18:32, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
>> I just tried building a single-node "cluster" on debian with ctdb.
>
> Why a single node ????
>
>> I can check building a 4 node cluster next week when I am home from my
>> travels.
>
> Try it with two nodes
>

>> To get ctdb running on ubuntu 14.10, as root:
>
> Hang on, you said 'debian' above
>

>> 1, Install the ctdb package:
>> apt-get install ctdb
>>
>> 2, create a missing directory
>> mkdir -p /var/lib/run/ctdb
>
> Why is there a missing directory, sounds like a bug to me.
>

>> 3, remove the reclock file
>> vi /etc/default/ctdb
>> and comment out CTDB_RECOVERY_LOCK
>
> But I want the lock.
>
>> 4, create a nodes file
>> vi /etc/ctdb/nodes
>> and add the line   127.0.0.1
>
> Yes, but why '127.0.0.1' ???
>

>> 5, create a public addresses file
>> vi /etc/ctdb/public_addresses
>> and add the two lines
>> 127.0.0.2/8 lo
>> 127.0.0.3/8 lo
>
> Do you have to create these ipaddresses, if so where and how
>
>> 6, start ctdb
>> service ctdb start
>>

> That is this first part I really understood.
>
>> then check everything looks fine with 'ctbb status' and 'tail
>> /var/log/ctdb/log.ctdb'
>>

>> That will not really create a very interesting cluster, just one node,
>> two public addresses and all on loopback.
>> But this should at least verify that ctdbd will start and run.
>> Then you can just shut it down and edit
>> /etc/ctdb/nodes|public_addresses and make them more interesting.
>
> Again, why just one node. ??
>
>> I personally suggest never running anything smaller than 4 node
>> clusters for real data.
>
> Yes, but I am testing, so where is the documentation for people like me,
> who just want to get a couple of nodes up and running ???

There isn't anything even close to what you are asking for. Maybe we
should take this to the samba list? It's one thing sitting with a laptop
and making ctdb startup on its own, something very different making it
work with samba, debian, wires, cables, network cards, switches and a
real domain. It is also very different setting up a cluster on vms. I
suppose this is where e.g. SUSE-HA comes into its own. The devs have
real hardware to test upon, time to write documentation and support it.
They'll come over and set it up for you and you just call if it doesn't
work. We can't afford that though, devs who do it voluntarily or as a
hobby can't ('can't be expected to', careful :-Ed.) write documentation
at user level. But things are moving again with ctdb.