registry config not being updated on one of my clusters ... how do I troubleshoot this

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Wed Dec 10 13:54:00 MST 2014

On 2014-12-10 at 12:48 -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM, ronnie sahlberg
> <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A final quick question,    did you restart smbd after you had enabled
> > clustering in the config file
> > or might it be that the main smbd daemon that is running is an
> > instance from before you setup ctdb ?
>
> Hmmm, not sure. On the other cluster I did not have Samba running
> before this. On this one I might have.
>
> Anyway, changing the smb.conf to this:
>
> [global]
> clustering = yes
> include = registry
> config backend = registry
>
> has made things work the way I think they should. That is, adding the
> 'include = registry' seems to have done it. When I was in gdb I
> noticed that lp_clustering returned false all three times it was
> called on one node when running net conf list, but returned true on
> the last call on the first node.

you should not do config backend = registry
AND include = registry.

And if you do config backend = registry,
then you need to make sure that you have
clustering = yes in the registry config as well.
otherwise config backend = registry could in the
worst case have prevented net conf from working
with clustered registry, but have it fall back
to non-clustered.

But the important thing should have been to restart
after adding "clustering = yes".

Cheers - Michael