%U and %G variable substitution in share path names

Ralph Wuerthner ralphw at de.ibm.com
Tue Dec 9 09:15:53 MST 2014

Hi list!

When working with variable substitution in share path names I noticed an
inconsistency:
%U translates into the session user name and %G into the primary group
name of %U - so far so good.

With 'security = ADS' by default all user names and group names which
are resolved via the AD server are prefixed by '<domain name>\'. For %U
I don't see the prefix, for %G I do see the prefix.

Is there a rational for this inconsistency?

Having this prefix in %G is very unfortunate because creating a
directory hierarchy via SMB containing '<domain name>\<group name>' is
not possible because of the '\' character.

Regards

	Ralph Wuerthner