Setting up CTDB on OCFS2 and VMs ...

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Sat Dec 6 17:21:37 MST 2014

On 2014-12-07 at 00:48 +0100, Michael Adam wrote:

> So the important bit is that in your case ctdb
> is running unprotected from split brain.
> The only reference to split brain is a notification
> of user steve in case drbd detects a split brain.
> If I get it right (there are no details about this
> in the blog post), this means that until user steve
> reacts to that notification the ctdb/samba cluster
> runs happily in the split brain situation and
> corrupts the users' data.

Ok, maybe it is not quite as bad. The config snippet

net {
  allow-two-primaries;
  after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
  after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
  after-sb-2pri disconnect;
}

Which is explained to some extent in

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-configure-split-brain-behavior.html

seems to indicate that in case of split brain
certain measures are potentially taken.

Also read the explanations about DRBD split brain here:

http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-split-brain-notification-and-recovery.html

This states that DRDB split brain is different from
cluster split brain (also called cluster partition).

So I'd really like to know what happens in your
setup in a split brain situation.

Cheers - Michael