Preliminary success with OCFS2 and CTDB 2.5.4

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:14:22 MST 2014

Hi Richard,

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Despite the vehement statements by some people on this list, I have
> gotten the ctdb ping_pong test to work with OCFS2 and CTDB 2.5.4 on
> CentOS 6.6.
>
> On one member:
>
>     [root at ocfs2-1 rsharpe]# ping_pong -rw /shared/ctdb/reclock 3
>     data increment = 1
>     ^C  3079 locks/sec
>     [root at ocfs2-1 rsharpe]# ping_pong -rw /shared/ctdb/reclock 3
>     data increment = 2
>     ^C   277 locks/sec
>
> One the other member:
>
>     [root at ocfs2-2 ~]# ping_pong -rw /shared/ctdb/reclock 3
>     data increment = 1
>     data increment = 2
>     data increment = 1
>     ^C  3150 locks/sec
>
> The last lock rate was after I stopped the ping_pong command on the
> first member. I was getting around 270 when ping_pong was running on
> both nodes.
>
> Do those locking rates look reasonable?
>
> Now to get ctdb and Samba really working.
>
> (Details of what I had to do available upon request)

This is really great.  Martin and I spent some time trying to make OCFS2
work on RHEL6 without much success.  The main problem was getting OCFS2
kernel modules on RHEL6.  We tried building the OCFS2 kernel modules from
source, but that did not work.  Any comments on how to make it work on RHE6
are much appreciated. Our plan is to integrate OCFS2 in autocluster, so we
can build samba cluster with OCFS2 for automated testing.

With GPFS, ping_pong -rw test gets around 35,000-40,000 locks/sec on a two
node cluster when running on both nodes. Running on a single node gives
around 120,000 locks/sec.

Thanks.

Amitay.