On packaging complex software (KDE, and my thoughts on Samba)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 15 14:58:18 MDT 2014

These links came to my attention on LWN:

https://lwn.net/Articles/608665

https://blogs.kde.org/2014/08/13/upstream-and-downstream-why-packaging-takes-time

So much of this also rings true for Samba - we have of course been
looking at the bundled libraries issue here of late, but most of the
other issues have also come up one way or another.  In a reverse sense
it took ages to package Samba 4.x for debian because of the issues
un-picking the co-installablity between the old samba4 packages and the
unified Samba 4.x packages.

The next interesting step in debian packaging would be to actually do a
'make test' in a packaged build, using the new cwrap approach.