FILE_SUPPORTS_SPARSE_FILES not set

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 15 12:44:18 MDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:41:36PM -0700, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 01:37:16PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > > Log a bug and I'll update it for Linux/BSD.
> >
> > I think this is what you want. Can I get a second
> > Team reviewer for master ?
>
> Note that sparse file support is a something defined by the on disk
> filesystem format.  I had to special case hfsplus so that we don't
> run tests that rely on efficient sparse file support in xfstests for
> example.

True, but statvfs doesn't give information as to
whether the on disk filesystem format supports it
or not. IMHO it probably should.

In the meantime, most of the common filesystems
that Samba runs on (ext4, xfs, btrfs, zfs) *do*
support it, so returning the flag by default is more
correct than not returning it.