Homepage project description

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Aug 14 05:44:33 MDT 2014

On 2014-08-13 at 18:52 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> The samba.org index page describes Samba in the following way:
>
>   Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for Linux and
>   Unix.
>
>   Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the Samba
>   project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.
>
>   Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print services
>   for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all versions of DOS and
>   Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.
>
>   Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and
>   Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind daemon.
>
> This fails to mention any of the server side directory services beyond winbind.
>
> I'd like to change that last paragraph to cover the work we did for 4.0.

Absolutely!

> What about something like:
>
>   Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix Servers and
>   Desktops into Active Directory environments, and it can function both as a
>   domain controller and as a domain member.

The first (and original) sentence cover the member but, so I'd
propose something like this:

  Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate
  Linux/Unix Servers and Desktops as members into Active Directory
  environments, and Samba can nowadays also function as an
  Active Directory compatible domain controller.

Cheers - Michael