connect(/var/lib/ctdb/ctdb.socket) failed: Connection refused

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Sun Aug 10 03:31:05 MDT 2014

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014 09:48:26 +0200, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, none of the ctdbd defaults is set. man ctdbd(1) still has
> e.g.
> '--dbdir=<directory>
> [...]
> This directory would usually be /var/ctdb .'

Unfortunately that manpage has bit-rotted.  Patches are always
accepted.

If you look in ctdbd.conf(5), which was added in 2.5 but
only installed from 2.5.2, then you would see the truth.  Similarly,
ctdb(7) provides an overview of CTDB.  We've worked hard to improve the
documentation.

> We assume that this is why the distros have stepped in big time. It
> looks as though every option has to be passed on the command line. There
> are no defaults.

There are most certainly defaults for the databases.  It
is /usr/local/var/lib/ctdb.  Unfortunately, you need to set CTDB_VARDIR
in configuration to get the scripts to play along.  We'll try to fix
this.

> Unfortunately too, no man pages are installed from the
> source ./configure, make make install. It looks like an option from
> configure. We really could use some default values. I wonder if this man
> page is current: http://linux.die.net/man/1/ctdbd

What version is this?  I just downloaded ctdb-2.5.3.tar.gz from:

  https://ftp.samba.org/pub/ctdb/

Before:

  $ find /usr/local/share/man -type f
  [Nothing]

After (./autogen.sh && ./configure && make && sudo make install):

  $ find /usr/local/share/man -type f
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/ctdbd.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/onnode.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/ping_pong.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/ctdbd_wrapper.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/ctdb.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man1/ltdbtool.1
  /usr/local/share/man/man5/ctdbd.conf.5
  /usr/local/share/man/man7/ctdb-tunables.7
  /usr/local/share/man/man7/ctdb.7

In particular, see ctdbd_wrapper(1).  ctdbd_wrapper(1) can be used to
start/stop CTDB without an initscript.  You can put configuration
in /etc/ctdb/ctdbd.conf (or any of the distro defaults,
like /etc/sysconfig/ctdb or /etc/default/ctdb).

peace & happiness,
martin