RC2 for third_party.

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Sun Aug 10 00:51:37 MDT 2014

On Saturday 09 August 2014 17:11:29 Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:29:48AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 09:49:08PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > > I've updated third_party to deal with the issues that were pointed out
> > > in
> > > the last review.
> > >
> > > The libraries are still removed at the end, as in previous versions.
> > >
> > > I look forward to your reviews.
> > >
> > > http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/third_party
> >
> > There are a few whitespace errors which need fixing, but
> > other than that you have my 'Reviewed-by:' up to the
> > last patch which removes the toplevel third_party/ lib.
> >
> > There's a problem with that, unfortunately (much though
> > this is causing my to gnash my teeth, as that's the bit
> > I really wanted).
> >
> > Debian / Ubuntu doesn't package iniparser-dev :-). Or
> > indeed initparser at all :-).
> >
> > Fedora does, but the attitude of the Debian devs is
> > that iniparser is the spawn of the devil, and should
> > never be packaged for Debian.
> >
> > Looking at the iniparser code, it's hard to argue :-).
> >
> > So I'll take it upon myself to remove the iniparse
> > code from Samba, and replace it with something that
> > will do the job instead and is appropriately licensed
> > for libraries that need to link with proprietary code.
>
> So there isn't a really good easy iniparser replacement
> that's appropriately licensed.
>
> Andreas, you did the work to replace iniparser here:
>
> https://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/config_parser
>
> with your config parser code instead.

Feel free to rebase it. The code is from libssh, but it works a bit different
there.

http://git.libssh.org/projects/libssh.git/tree/src/config.c

I think Jelmer objected to it lately and said we should use the ini parsing
code from param.

> Would you object if I resurected that code, and
> passed it by you for review to get iniparser
> out of our tree ? It really does look a nice
> piece of work, I don't know why we didn't
> adopt it when you first proposed it (please
> don't let it be me who said "no", I don't remember
> doing that but will be prepared to eat generous
> helpings of humble pie if it was :-) :-).

I don't remember who it was, but I proposed it to you already some time ago
but you didn't respond ;)

I left the code in my git just in case someone wanted it later ...

	-- andreas