RC2 for third_party.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Aug 9 18:11:29 MDT 2014

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:29:48AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 09:49:08PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> > I've updated third_party to deal with the issues that were pointed out in
> > the last review.
> >
> > The libraries are still removed at the end, as in previous versions.
> >
> > I look forward to your reviews.
> >
> > http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/third_party
>
> There are a few whitespace errors which need fixing, but
> other than that you have my 'Reviewed-by:' up to the
> last patch which removes the toplevel third_party/ lib.
>
> There's a problem with that, unfortunately (much though
> this is causing my to gnash my teeth, as that's the bit
> I really wanted).
>
> Debian / Ubuntu doesn't package iniparser-dev :-). Or
> indeed initparser at all :-).
>
> Fedora does, but the attitude of the Debian devs is
> that iniparser is the spawn of the devil, and should
> never be packaged for Debian.
>
> Looking at the iniparser code, it's hard to argue :-).
>
> So I'll take it upon myself to remove the iniparse
> code from Samba, and replace it with something that
> will do the job instead and is appropriately licensed
> for libraries that need to link with proprietary code.

So there isn't a really good easy iniparser replacement
that's appropriately licensed.

Andreas, you did the work to replace iniparser here:

https://git.samba.org/?p=asn/samba.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/config_parser

with your config parser code instead.

Would you object if I resurected that code, and
passed it by you for review to get iniparser
out of our tree ? It really does look a nice
piece of work, I don't know why we didn't
adopt it when you first proposed it (please
don't let it be me who said "no", I don't remember
doing that but will be prepared to eat generous
helpings of humble pie if it was :-) :-).

Cheers,

Jeremy