Padding byte in cifs readx response

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 8 13:46:00 MDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 04:16:45PM -0700, Christof Schmitt wrote:
> > VL: Question: Is it possible to leave alone and in the higher levels
> > calling this just let it allocate one more byte? This only affects read&x,
> > all others are unchanged, right?
>
> I changed this in the new patch series by creating a new function to add
> the padding byte. This only affects two codepaths for the readx
> response.

Yes - but aren't these *REALLY HOT* codepaths....

Doing a talloc_realloc() to add one more byte
here will have to be carefully benchmarked to
make sure we don't kill our readX performance.

OK, I'm going to ask a heretical question here.

Do we really need to do this ? Just to match
a spec that the Windows client doesn't actually
care about (as our Read code path works against
Windows) ?

Can't we add your test and mark Samba as
knownfail and move on with our lives unless
we can find a way to fix this without performance
problems ?

Jeremy.