RC2 for third_party.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 8 12:29:48 MDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 09:49:08PM -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> I've updated third_party to deal with the issues that were pointed out in
> the last review.
>
> The libraries are still removed at the end, as in previous versions.
>
> I look forward to your reviews.
>
> http://git.samba.org/?p=ira/wip.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/third_party

There are a few whitespace errors which need fixing, but
other than that you have my 'Reviewed-by:' up to the
last patch which removes the toplevel third_party/ lib.

There's a problem with that, unfortunately (much though
this is causing my to gnash my teeth, as that's the bit
I really wanted).

Debian / Ubuntu doesn't package iniparser-dev :-). Or
indeed initparser at all :-).

Fedora does, but the attitude of the Debian devs is
that iniparser is the spawn of the devil, and should
never be packaged for Debian.

Looking at the iniparser code, it's hard to argue :-).

So I'll take it upon myself to remove the iniparse
code from Samba, and replace it with something that
will do the job instead and is appropriately licensed
for libraries that need to link with proprietary code.

Once that's done, then I have another action item
to package up the third_party libs we want to remove,
and set up and test a build farm host and fix the
build farm scripts to make sure they can build with
either locally installed -dev packages, or an rsync
downloaded third_party.tgz bundle.

Once *that* is done we can do the bit I'm really
looking forward to, which is rm -rf third_party
(or the git equivalent :-).

Cheers,

	Jeremy.