Recent changes to autorid (was Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:15:19 MDT 2014

On 29/04/14 18:02, Simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-04-29 at 13:09 +0200, Michael Adam wrote:

>>> Hi Michael, Jeremy was proposing that the well know SID's should be
>>> hard-coded, I was just pointing out a reason why they should be.
>>> What is the point in having another DC, if, when you rsync sysvol to
>>> it (the only way at the moment), you cannot use it because the ACL's
>>> are wrong ??
>> I understand what you are talking about.  But in insisting on
>> this aspect, you are still hijacking this thread, since it
>> is not about the DC. :-)
> No, Rowland is not hijacking anything, he made a perfectly relevant and
> forward looking commnet. And that is using fixed mappings for these SIDs
> is something we need anyway for the DC case, so we might as well factor
> it in here, as we are going to need to handle that case too.
Thanks Simo, I was basing my comments on what I found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330

under the 'Summary' heading:

'Well-known SIDs are a group of SIDs that identify generic users or
generic groups. Their values remain constant across all operating systems.'

Does Linux qualify as an operating system ;-)

I only ask this because, at the moment, the above statement is not true
for Linux.

Rowland