Recent changes to autorid (was Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Apr 29 11:14:05 MDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 10:54:29AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:

> Do I get it right that you don't mean to carve out
> a range for the well knowns in the autorid setting,
> but globally in samba/winbind, i.e. have a universal
> configuration of the well-knowns that is independent
> of any id mapping setup?

Yes. That's what "Wellknown" means :-).

> What do you intend to remap? The IDs that have been
> configured previously? This is difficult, since they
> have probably already made it into the file system
> ownerships and acls.
>
> Next thing to consider is what to do with those
> setups where the well-knowns have been created
> perviously in the id mapping range. You also need
> to traverse the File system and potentially change
> acls before you can run with the new code, so similar
> problem here..

We could provide documentation on what to
do in this case. But refusing to start is
a strong statement that this needs fixing
before we'll cope :-).

> I don't think it is very dramatic, but instead
> a very desirable and natural thing. But unfortunately
> I currently see too many devils in the details to
> get upgrades and conflicting configs propoerly supported.
>
> If we were to introduce the deterministic well-known
> mappings, this would be very simple indeed.

Wellknown == Fixed for all time in all configs.

That's what Microsoft did for ID's they know
they have to have. We need to do the same IMHO.

We screwed ourselves up by being too flexible
here I think. Fix it finally for 4.2 ?

Jeremy.