Recent changes to autorid (was Re: [SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated)

Rowland Penny repenny241155 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 02:57:42 MDT 2014

On 28/04/14 17:42, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 06:10:51PM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
>> autorid currently only has ranges of a fixed size
>> ("idmap config * : rangesize = ...").
>> And, by "people", do you mean the developers?
>> We don't have a configuration means to create a range
>> for the wellknown sids, currently.
> As these SIDs are wellknown, and aren't going to
> change (only expand as Microsoft adds more), can't
> we just cut out a fixed area of say 500 id's and
> have hardcoded mappings for these ?
>
> If that range has already been used in someone's
> config, we refuse to start, and provide a mechanism
> for them to remap.
>
> A bit dramatic, but very simple.
>
> Jeremy
Hi, can I add my 2p's worth here, there is a thread on the samba list at
the moment about builtin's not mapping on the DC. The problem seems to
be that when you rsync sysvol to another DC, you get the xidNumbers from
the original DC on the client DC and these xidNumbers are different from
the ones that the client DC uses.

Because of this, GPO's do not work correctly, or not at all, so, I think
that (IMHO) something needs to be done about this.

Rowland