cifs client question: a cifs mount to a z/OS mainframe server

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Mon Apr 7 05:22:31 MDT 2014

Hi Nadezhda,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 17:33:43 +0300, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Has anyone managed to make a mount.cifs mount from a linux machine to a
> share on a z/OS IBM Mainframe? We have a partner that is trying to do that,
> but the the z/OS returns a malformed Negotiate Protocol Response packet,
> incorrect bcc caused by PRIMARY DOMAIN containing garbage. Interestingly,
> the mount is successful from a Windows or a mac, and the z/OS returns a
> correct packet to these clients. Any ideas?

What kernel version is the client running?

The symptoms don't appear to match what you've reported, but we've seen
issues against IBM servers when the cifs.ko client exceeds the servers
MaxNumberVCs value during login.
The nosharesock mount option was recently added to avoid this behaviour.

I'd suggest taking this up on the cifs.ko mailing list.

Cheers, David