Newbie quesiton 1

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Sep 26 02:59:53 MDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 01:57:58AM -0700, sandeep nag wrote:
> 1. I see a new smbd process spawning for a connection, and it looks like
> when the load on this
>     process exceeds some limit another process is spawning. In brief, what
> are the functions done
>     by the parents smbd and the new smbd.

The parent smbd simply sets up the listening sockets, spawns a
few background processes to handle things like the print queue
etc. and then waits for a connection. Once it gets one it immediately
forks and the child handles the new connection. The parent goes
back to listening on the socket.

> Please point me to design docs/functional specs/code architecture walk
> through for samba code, if there are any.

Start with the Samba wiki.

Jeremy.