Failed FSMO transfer Naming - samba 4.0.9

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Sep 25 16:59:45 MDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 07:39:27 PM Jacó Ramos wrote:
> My windows2003server is down.
>
> I want transfer all roles for samba 4.0.9.
I'm not sure, but I don't think this is possible. FSMO transfer isn't "create
FSMO on this server", but "transfer from that server to this server".

I think this is by design. Consider what would happen if your Windows 2003
server came up - now you have two "single master" instances for the domain.

[I think this question probably should have gone to samba list, not samba-
technical. See http://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/samba-technical which
states "Please do not send user questions (even if they're technical
questions) to this list. Send them to the the samba users' list instead, and
they are much more likely to be answered. ". The rules were slightly different
before samba4 was released.]

Brad