FSMO fails to transfer

Marc Muehlfeld samba at marc-muehlfeld.de
Sun Sep 22 19:12:51 CEST 2013

Hello Pavel,

Am 22.09.2013 16:51, schrieb Pavel Herrmann:
> Is this expected? wiki page says FSMO transfer is somewhat broken, but the
> linked bug seems to be fixed in 4.0.9
> Is this possibly caused by the alpha build in the original DC? would upgrading
> it first help?

I don't have an answer to your question. But maybe the following
information will help you a bit.

The patch from Bug 4961 is *not* included in an official version yet!

I tried to seize the roles on my test environment. Both DC run 4.0.9. It
says the role transfer was successfull, but all transfers show an error:

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=rid
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'rid' role successful
ERROR: Failed to initiate role seize of 'rid' role: objectclass: modify
message must have elements/attributes!

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=schema
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'schema' role successful
ERROR: Failed to initiate role seize of 'schema' role: objectclass:
modify message must have elements/attributes!

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=pdc
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'pdc' role successful
ERROR: Failed to initiate role seize of 'pdc' role: objectclass: modify
message must have elements/attributes!

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=naming
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'naming' role successful
ERROR: Failed to initiate role seize of 'naming' role: objectclass:
modify message must have elements/attributes!

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=infrastructure
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'infrastructure' role successful
ERROR: Failed to initiate role seize of 'infrastructure' role:
objectclass: modify message must have elements/attributes!

Then I applied Andrews patch from the bug report on the DC that
currently contains all 5 roles, and the above error is gone:

# samba-tool fsmo seize --role=all
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'rid' role successful
FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of 'rid' role was successful
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'pdc' role successful
FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of 'pdc' role was successful
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'naming' role successful
FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of 'naming' role was successful
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'infrastructure' role successful
FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of 'infrastructure' role was
successful
Attempting transfer...
FSMO transfer of 'schema' role successful
FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of 'schema' role was successful

But a question from me, too: What does the message
 > FSMO seize was not required, as transfer of '...' role
 > was successful"
mean? First the transfer was started and a "successfull" message is
shown. Then it says, that FSMO seize is not required. But this was what
I did, by the command I've started. What does this mean?

Can the patch from bug report 9461 please be included in 4.0.10? Thanks.

Regards,
Marc