Winbindd consuming large amounts of CPU after adding/removing ACEs on share-level permissions

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Sep 17 19:58:15 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13:13AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have seen a case or two recently where when someone added or
> removed ACEs on share-level permissions, winbindd started consuming
> 10% of the CPU on one core.
>
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Samba 3.6.12+ (a few patches from later versions.)

Yes - somehow winbindd has gotten a linked list
corrupted and it's spinning going over that list.

I've seen this reported (on 3.6.x, not in 4.0.x or
above) but no one has ever been able to get a
reproducible test case/backtrace that would allow
us to track this down.

If you can I would be eternally grateful :-).

Jeremy.