smb.conf in registry

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Tue Sep 17 19:31:36 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-17 at 00:42 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> On 09/14/2013 11:26 PM, Michael Adam wrote:
> >
> >When I wrote this, there was no separate "state directory"
> >parameter. So I should probably add "state directory" to the
> >list of forbidden parameters...
> That would be bad idea actually, as state is used to store the
> sysvol in AD mode (well maybe it shouldn't be in lp_state ...) as it
> would pretty much mean that we couldn't have the AD smb.conf in
> registry.

The first thing is that we may not change the directory the
registry file is located in the registry config itself.

Attached find a patch that adds "state directory" to the
list of forbidden parameters in the registry.
Please review and push if you are ok with it.
We should probably also do a bug report for this
for 4.1, 4.0, 3.6 ...

The next thing is that it would certainly be nice to
use registry config for the AD setup. There are various
possible ways out of that. Either we put the sysvol
into a different path. Or we put the registry db into
a different path. Maybe others. This needs more thought,
at least from my side. Possibly others have more ideas.

Cheers - Michael