[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Simo simo at samba.org
Mon Sep 16 22:48:06 CEST 2013

On Fri, 2013-09-13 at 12:30 +0200, Clement Wong wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry to get into this as a non-team member.
> Why not we use some existing solution like github? It's much more ready,
> integrated, modern and user friendly in all kinds of way, most of the
> modern open source project has picked github, including Linus.
> They have
> 1) issue system, and can label different version on issue.
> 2) pull request system that can easily reject, queue, merge.
> 3) release system
> 4) nice web interface.
> 5) http://hub.github.com/ for command line only
> 6) easy to track all forks
> 7) nice stats
> etc.

8) Lock in, get trapped in a proprietary solution that will make it
super-painful to get out when github will not meet our needs.

Besides most of what we do with git is tied to autobuild, which is still
external and we'd need to replicate that infrastructure to work with
github, which is work.

> What I'm trying to say is I don't think samba team should invest so much
> time while there are ready/better solutions, and need keep all solutions
> updated. I think a dev team should focus on project itself rather than
> dev solutions. (not talking about policy, review kind of things can also
> be done easily).

I do not see what added value github brings in when it comes to reviews.

Simo.