VFS WORM module

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 20:23:18 CEST 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Marc Muehlfeld
<samba at marc-muehlfeld.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> at work we are currently looking for something that allows to store files on
> a Samba share. After a defined time, the files/directories should be
> accessible only read-only on the share. So it should be a kind of WORM
> feature (of course it wouldn't on Unix side. But that's OK).
>
> So my thought was: Maybe this could be done through a VFS module (create
> time + x days < current time: write access denied)
>
> My questions:
> - Is there already a module that does something similar and can be easily
> adapted to provide a kind of WORM feature?
> - Can this be done by some who is familiar with C? Or should it be better
> done by someone who is Samba code experienced?
> - Do you guess it's much work? 1, 2, 3 weeks,...?
>
> If the total costs wouldn't be to high and we could realise it, the final
> module should of course find back to the Samba project, as it could be
> interesting for others, too.

I think there are two ways to deal with this:

1. Use ACLs and add an OWNER RIGHTS ACE that denies any DELETE or
WRITE-like access rights.

2. Add a VFS module that implements CreateFile or open that disallows
opening for write any existing file.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe