The specified network name is no longer available

Mauro M. mm12 at ezplanet.net
Sun Sep 15 22:25:35 CEST 2013

Hello again,

I have seen several of these cases posted on the internet without
resolution. It is clear that there is a problem somewhere which is still
unresolved.

I have contacted one user who posted a similar message several months ago
and who did not receive a reply. He said he has solved the problem by
installing from the compiled source after he moved from VmWare Virtual
boxes to VirtualBox thus hinting that his VmWare deplyment might have been
the cause.

I have a plain CentOS 6.4 install (from Live DVD) and a plain Windows 7
service pack 2 with up to date patches and nothing else installed. In my
case I use CentOS native qemu/kvm Virtualization for the Linux CentOS
VM/Samba4 server and 1 Windows 7 client on VM + 1 Windows 7 client on
physical laptop. I doubt the fact that I am using VMs could have any
influence. It should not.

I have now tried (every time starting over with fresh installs) with:
- sernet packages
- samba4 compiled from sources pulled using git
- SOGo packages

With all of them I got the same result when attempting to join the domain:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain
"mydomain.local"

The specified network name  is no longer available

Please see my previous posts for details.

I cannot believe that starting from fresh installs I get always the same
failure. This means that there is really something wrong with samba4.

I am surprised as well that I have received only 3/4 replies to my posts
without further follow-up. If I am doing something wrong, I would like to
understand; conversely if there is something wrong with samba4 (and there
must be!) I thought that the developers would like to know.

I am available to help with testing and debug, and I would be grateful if
I could receive some suggestions.

Best regards,

Mauro