[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri Sep 13 08:47:59 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-13 08:23, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> You have Worldforge and Wine in your signature. How do these
> projects handle hobbyists' contributions? Are they handled
> differently from contributions by paid developers?

WorldForge has no paid developers, it's a pure hobby project, and it's
extremely easy to get commit access and just get started working on code.

Wine has mandatory code review by the only person with commit access to
the source repository. Wine also has extensive infrastructure in place
to track Alexandre's patch review queue.
http://source.winehq.org/patches/ is straight out of Alexandre's patch
management scripts and has been extended to include pre-commit test
results. Unlike samba-technical, Wine hardly ever drops a patch, and the
only time I had to wait > 1 week to get feedback on a patch that didn't
pass review was when Alexandre is on vacation.

I also do a lot of development with the BioPython project, during my day
job. I don't have commit access there, but the people who do are very
responsive and I've never seen them drop a pull request either.

So no, technically none of the OSS projects I am involved with handle
hobbyists' contributions differently. But they do have systems in place
to make sure every contribution can get into the repository, for
committers or external contributors. We do have a poor track record for
external contributors sending in patches, and that reduces my confidence
in the process.

That said, I'm getting tired of taking the flak for my opinion every
time this comes up. We've had a lot of technical decisions where some of
the team didn't agree, and pretty much all the time went with the
majority choice. So I guess just go ahead and do whatever you like, just
don't take my silence as consent.

Cheers,
Kai

--