[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch master updated

Kai Blin kai at samba.org
Fri Sep 13 06:24:48 CEST 2013

On 2013-09-12 14:30, Simo wrote:

> For area that have little contribution this is even more important,
> because the code is probably not very much exercised so bugs will
> probably take a while before being reported, and because there are fewer
> people familiar with the code so having the author available to explain
> the patch while fresh in his mind, if necessary is even more important.
> Also the less people familiar the easier it is that they are not around
> if the bug hits at a critical moment.

Right, but for an area nobody cares about, the reviews will not be very
deep. The patch that broke SWAT for non-root users was reviewed by a
number of people and nobody caught this. I have the feeling that if I
had a patch for the core password check logic in smbd, the patch would
have gotten more attention.

>> TLDR; The current voluntary system works. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.
>
> It was proposed, this time, as a technical solution to someone
> forgetting to add tags, but what you are saying is: even though it seem
> we all agree on doing reviews and in effect all the last ~2700 patches
> each had a review, you want to be able to go ahead and forcibly push
> un-reviewed patches on the off chance that nobody will care at all for
> weeks to review one of your patches for mysterious reasons.

Can we just get past this implication that it's only me being hysterical
here? Others have voiced similar concerns. I don't think it's a
coincidence that there seems to be a large overlap between the
developers who are paid to work on Samba and the people who don't think
mandatory reviews are a problem, and also a large overlap between the
hobby developers and the people who are concerned about this. Arguably,
if you look at commit stats, the former group doesn't need the latter,
and can afford to put up more hoops for contributors to jump through. I
guess that's for the team to decide.

Cheers,
Kai

--