Samba 4 and automount

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Sep 12 12:09:50 CEST 2013

On Thu, 2013-09-12 at 10:46 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 12/09/13 10:35, steve wrote:
> > On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 18:49 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:
> >> Hi, I am struggling trying to get my head around adding automount to
> >> Samba 4 AD. I can add the attributes & objectclasses but I am getting
> >> lost adding the users etc.
> >>
> >> what's confusing me is, 'defaultMigrationContainer30'. I can find
> >> several examples on the net that do not use it, but I can also find
> >> several examples that do. For instance on:
> >> http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/07/03/nis-on-windows-server-2008/ there
> >> is a reply from someone called Ashish saying:
> >>
> >> 'niscnfg.exe creates the defaultMigrationContainer30 and ypServ30
> >> containers where all the NIS map definitions for standard maps are
> >> stored. When you add non-standard maps (that is not not-supported) –
> >> they are also added under ypServ30 container. Wihout this information
> >> the NIS Server will not function.'
> >>
> >> niscnfg.exe is a windows tool.
> >>
> >> So the question is, do I need to add CN=defaultMigrationContainer30 or not?
> >>
> >> Rowland
> > Hi Rowland, hi everyone
> > Same here. I've got the stuff into the schema according to:
> > https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-January/170907.html
> > Do I also need the sfu schema too? I think not since the wiki doesn't
> > mention it either:
> > https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/Schema_extenstions
> > (Which does not work, but I can at least see where it's heading)
> > I think this is because sfu was for the older 2003 schema whereas Samba
> > uses 2008. The thing is that neither article refer to nis maps nor sfu.
> >
> > What I'm stuck on (I think you too) is how to get the maps into AD armed
> > with only 2 objectClasses:
> > CN=automountMap
> > CN=automount
> >
> > and one attribute:
> > CN=automountInformation
> >
> > e.g. how do I go from an auto.master like this:
> > /home/users /etc/auto.users
> > to AD-LDAP syntax?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve
> >

> Hi Steve, I must have found different info than you did, because I have
> three attributes:
>
> automountMapName
> automountKey
> automountInformation
>
> Rowland

Hi
The problem is that neither automountMapName nor automountKey can be
used: they both give errors as not being recognised, even though adding
them to the schema partition works OK:

dn: CN=automountKey,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,<DOMAIN>
objectClass: top
objectClass: attributeSchema
attributeID: 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.32
cn: automountKey
name: automountKey
lDAPDisplayName: automountKey
attributeSyntax: 2.5.5.5
oMSyntax: 22
isSingleValued: TRUE
systemOnly: FALSE

dn: CN=automountMapName,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,<DOMAIN>
objectClass: top
objectClass: attributeSchema
attributeID: 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.31
cn: automountMapName
name: automountMapName
lDAPDisplayName: automountMapName
attributeSyntax: 2.5.5.5
oMSyntax: 22
isSingleValued: TRUE
systemOnly: FALSE

this is explained here:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-January/170907.html

The post goes on to say:
'Modify the actual data accordingly to remove automountKey and
automountMapName attributes and change as needed.
These work for me and I can edit them without issue.'

The 'actual data' was:

dn: automountMapName=auto_master,OU=Mac,OU=Automounts,<DOMAIN>
objectClass: automountMap
objectClass: top
automountMapName: auto_master
ntSecurityDescriptor:O:BAG:SYD:(A;;0xf01ff;;;S-1-5-21-1698313198-1485347608-3860200556-500)(A;;0xf01ff;;;SY)(A;;0x20094;;;AU)
ObjectCategory: CN=automountMap,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,<DOMAIN>
instanceType: 4

As the post uses only CN=automount, Cn=automountMap and (the only
attribute) CN=automountInformation, the implication is that we can
define auto.master _without_ either the MapName not the Key attributes,
presumably using only automountInformation

I can accept that that may be possible. I just do not know the syntax
for it:(

Cheers,
Steve