samba with openldap provisioning

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 2 17:29:05 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 10:42 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-09-03 at 08:29 +1200, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 17:09 +0300, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > I was also able to provision, after applying your patches and removing
> > > --use-rfc2307 and adding --use-ntvfs in my provision command. Phew!
> > > One step forward! Now I get a bigger shovel and continue digging on
> > > the openldap side, I'll keep you posted on the progress.
> >
> > Great!  So I can reproduce exactly what you did, was this with OpenLDAP
> > from CVS or from GIT?
> >
> > Let's keep digging, we will make this pig fly again!
>
> I've found the missing patch.  We ripped this out when we dropped the
> LDAP backend.  With this patch, we now connect in 'samba', and are ready
> to pass the baton back over to the OpenLDAP side of things.  The next
> error is from slapd, with one of the reasons we stopped doing this:
> 'invalid' (presumably extended) DNs.
>
> dn: cn=NTDS
> Settings,cn=RUTH,cn=Servers,cn=Default-First-Site-Name,cn=Sites,cn=Configuration,dc=ldap,dc=samba,dc=example,dc=com
>

> ldb: ldb_trace_response: DONE
> error: 0
>
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (partition)->search
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (schema_data)->search
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (entryuuid)->search
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (paged_searches)->search
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (simple_dn)->search
> ldb: ldb_trace_next_request: (ldap)->search
> ldb: ldb_asprintf/set_errstring: LDAP error 34 LDAP_INVALID_DN_SYNTAX -
> <invalid DN> <>
>
> Andrew Bartlett

I can confirm it fails in the same way with OpenLDAP from GIT.

The next step will be to have OpenLDAP communicate over LDAP, not LDAPi.
The key for that will be again handling more provision options that were
removed with 696a70c9faac27bcd473b6c2f1444abd267ae6e6 so that we start
ldapd listening in TCP, and connect to it over TCP.  That way, wireshark
can see what is on the wire.

Let me know if you have any difficulty with that.

Best of luck,

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT                   http://catalyst.net.nz