Cross-compiling with 4.1 ?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Sep 2 15:09:30 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-02 at 11:19 +0200, Christophe Vu-Brugier wrote:
> Dear Jeremy Allison,
>
> On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 14:41:28 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote :
> > In our haste to remove the autoconf build (for
> > which I'm as guilty as anyone else) we may
> > have lost something important - that's the
> > ability to cross-compile 4.1.0 and above.
> >
> > Has anyone done this with master/4.1.0 ?
> >
> > Does it work ?
>
> Two months ago, I tried to cross compile samba 4.0.7 and it did not
> work. I looked a little bit why Samba 4 did not cross-compile but did
> not manage to make it build fully. Here is what I saw:
>
>  * some programs are built for the target whereas they are expected to
>    be built for the host. This is the case for some heimdal binaries.

This doesn't surprise me, and is the biggest challenge in
cross-compilation.

>  * in buildtools/wafadmin/Tools/python.py, I think that the
>    PYTHONXCPREFIX variable should be used if the user defines it. This
>    is necessary in order to build python packages for the target.
>
> There are probably other errors occuring when cross-compiling Samba 4.
> The errors I mention are just the first that I encountered.
>

> > I know there are several
> > OEMs who absolutely depend on this to
> > create working file server builds.
>
> My employer (LaCie) is such an OEM. We are sticking with Samba 3.6
> because of the cross-compilation issues of Samba 4.0.

Given the autoconf build is still supported in 4.0, you should at least
be able to move to that.  Of course, we do need to fix this for you to
move to 4.1.

> I am a bit busy at the moment, but I will try to cross-compile the
> latest version of Samba, look more deeply at the errors and come up with
> patches. I think the first step is to open a bug report.

Thanks.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Catalyst IT                   http://catalyst.net.nz