[Wireshark-dev] Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

Joerg Mayer jmayer at loplof.de
Mon Oct 7 15:40:25 MDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 07, 2013 at 01:57:12PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2013, at 8:04 PM, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There is very little overlap between samba needs and wireshark needs for PIDL.
> > It is probably better to continue running two separate forks of PIDL,
> > one for samba and one for wireshark.
> >
> > Switching to samba PIDL seems to be a lot of work for miniscule gain.
> > And who will do the work?
>
> Are you referring to forking PIDL, the language, or to forking PIDL, the tool that translates PIDL-the-language descriptions into code for {Samba,Wireshark,...}?

If I understand it correctly, he is talking about the backend: There are
different backends for Samba3, Samba4 and Wireshark. The Wireshark backend
differs quite a lot from the Samba backends.
pidl/lib/Parse/Pidl/ is the location of the backends.

Ciao
   jörg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer at loplof.de>