recvfile support

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 25 12:06:12 MDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:10:45AM -0700, SDN learn wrote:
> Hi Samba Experts,
>
> I'm trying to play with samba 3.6.8 on kernel 3.10 and notice that
> turning ON recvfile in smb.conf reduces performance.

Linux doesn't have a working recvfile system call, so don't do
that.

> I googled for this and notice that there were some issues with
> recvfile, but not sure if there is a patch available that may fix
> this, Or which version of samba release solves this?

Samba supports recvfile, but it only improves performance
on systems that have a working system call. There are
certain vendor-modified versions of Linux and FreeBSD
that have this, but nothing in the mainstream kernel.

Samba cannot fix this issue in our code, as the issue
isn't *in* our code.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy.