When is network browsing supported again?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 22 13:13:27 MDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 13:47 +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> See for example here:
>
> http://edoceo.com/howto/samba4
>
> "
> No More Network Browsing
> In Windows based AD you can still browse a network, Samba3 had this but
> Samba4 does not. So, you will not see your domain, or browse machines in
> the domain."
>

> This not right?

You are confusing a statement about the server (our AD DC) with the
behaviour of the client, and then being confused by a missing feature in
the client library (we have more than one) that isn't used by
libsmbclient.

If you are running a Samba 4.x AD domain, NetBIOS browsing isn't
supported on the network because of features missing in our rewritten
server software.