Source for winucase.c

Jeff Layton jlayton at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 04:43:05 MDT 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 02:04:29 +0100
Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> fs/cifs/winucase.c is commented as:
>
>  * The const tables in this file were converted from the following info
>  * provided by Microsoft:
>  *
>  * 3.1.5.3 Mapping UTF-16 Strings to Upper Case:
>  *
>  * http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh877830.aspx
>  * http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=10921
>  *
>  * In particular, the table in "Windows 8 Upper Case Mapping Table.txt" was
>  * post-processed using the winucase_convert.pl script.
>
> Isn't "Windows 8 Upper Case Mapping Table.txt" then the preferred form
> for modification of the tables?  In which case, it should be included in
> the kernel sources.
>
> Also, shouldn't this file acknowledge Microsoft's copyright, if it's a
> derivative work of their file?
>
> Ben.

(cc'ing samba-technical and Bradley Kuhn in the hopes that he can help
clarify)

Good questions. I'm not certain on either point. When I queried the MS
folks about the licensing on that file, they said:

"I discovered the content you used is in fact referenced by the
 MS-UCODEREF document, in section 3.1.5.2.3.1   Windows Sorting Weight
 Table. I discussed with the appropriate folks here, and for use in
 Samba it's certainly covered under Samba's existing PFIF license."

Bradley, any thoughts as to Ben's questions?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com>