Samba 3.X on ZFS with acl_xattr / acl_tdb

Hafeez Bana hafeez.bana at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 06:27:34 MDT 2013

Hi Everyone,

I've been trialling ZFS with Samba 3.x (Ubuntu 12.04) and everything works
OK except when you try to assign permissions using Windows 7 and using the
acl_xattr or acl_tdb scheme.

One keeps getting 'Access Denied'.

the same config except on an EXT4 system works flawlessly.  ZFS already
supports xattrs so I am not sure what else ZFS needs to support for Samba
with acl_xattr to work.

It's strange that acl_tdb also exhibits the same error because one would
have thought the acls would be written to a tdb file.

Any insights would be appreciated. The only thread I have been able to find
is this one https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/170

But again I fail to understand how that has an impact, particularly when
using acl_tdb

Thx.
Hafeez