[Announce] Samba 4.0.10 Available for Download

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Tue Oct 8 02:47:27 MDT 2013

				       "I'll have what she's having."

				        When Harry Met Sally, 1989

Release Announcements
---------------------

This is is the latest stable release of Samba 4.0.

Major enhancements in Samba 4.0.10 include:

o  NetBIOS related samba process consumes 100% CPU (bug #10158).
o  smbd: Clean up share modes after hard crash (bug #10138).
o  Fix POSIX ACL mapping when setting DENY ACE's from Windows (bug #10162).

To ease upgrades from Samba 3.6 and older, a new parameter called "acl allow
execute always" has been introduced as a temporary workaround. Please see the
smb.conf man page for details.

Changes since 4.0.9:
--------------------

o   Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org>
    * BUG 10134: Ease file server upgrades from 3.6 and earlier with "acl allow
      execute always".
    * BUG 10169: Fix build error in scavenger.c.

o   Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
    * BUG 5917: Make Samba work on site with Read Only Domain Controller.
    * BUG 9166: Starting smbd or nmbd with stdin from /dev/null results in
      "EOF on stdin".
    * BUG 10063: source3/lib/util.c:1493 leaking memory w/ pam_winbind.so /
      winbind.
    * BUG 10121: Masks incorrectly applied to UNIX extension permission changes.
    * BUG 10139: Valid utf8 filenames cause "invalid conversion error"
      messages.

o   Christian Ambach <ambi at samba.org>
    * BUG #9911 - Build Samba 4.0.x on AIX with IBM XL C/C++.

o   Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org>
    * BUG 8077: dsdb: Convert the full string from UTF16 to UTF8, including
      embedded NULLs.
    * BUG 9091: When replicating DNS for bind9_dlz we need to create the
      server-DNS account remotely.
    * BUG 9461: python-samba-tool fsmo: Do not give an error on a successful
      role transfer.

o   Günther Deschner <gd at samba.org>
    * BUG 9615: s3-winbindd: fix fallback to ncacn_np in cm_connect_lsat().
    * BUG 9899: s3-winbindd: fix fallback to ncacn_np in cm_connect_lsat().
    * BUG 10147: Better document potential implications of a globally used
      "valid users".

o   Korobkin <korobkin+samba at gmail.com>
    * BUG 10118: Samba is chatty about being unable to open a printer.

o   Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com>
    * BUG 9599: samba-tool/dns: Pass on additional flags when creating zones.

o   Volker Lendecke <vl at samba.org>
    * BUG 10086: smbd: Fix async echo handler forking.
    * BUG 10106: Honour output buffer length set by the client for SMB2
      GetInfo requests.
    * BUG 10114: Dropbox (write-only-directory) case isn't handled correctly in
      pathname lookup.
    * BUG 10138: smbd: Clean up share modes after hard crash.

o   Daniel Liberman <danielvl at gmail.com>
    * BUG 10162: Fix POSIX ACL mapping when setting DENY ACE's from Windows.

o   Stefan Metzmacher <metze at samba.org>
    * BUG 9802: Move gencache.tdb to /var/cache/samba.
    * BUG 10030: ::1 added to nameserver on join.

o   Matthieu Patou <mat at matws.net>
    * BUG 10158: NetBIOS related samba process consumes 100% CPU.

o   Christof Schmitt <christof.schmitt at us.ibm.com>
    * BUG 10137: vfs_shadow_copy2 does not display previous versions correctly
      over SMB2.

o   Karolin Seeger <kseeger at samba.org>
    * BUG 10076: docs: Fix variable list in man vfs_crossrename.

o   Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe at gmail.com>
    * BUG 10097 - MacOSX 10.9 will not follow path-based DFS referrals handed
      out by Samba.

o   Ralph Wuerthner <ralph.wuerthner at de.ibm.com>
    * BUG 10106: Honour output buffer length set by the client for SMB2
      GetInfo requests.

joining the #samba-technical IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

If you do report problems then please try to send high quality
feedback. If you don't provide vital information to help us track down
the problem then you will probably be ignored.  All bug reports should
be filed under the Samba 4.0 product in the project's Bugzilla
database (https://bugzilla.samba.org/).

== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID 6568B7EA).  The source code can be downloaded
from:

        http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/stable/

The release notes are available online at:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.10.html

Binary packages will be made available on a volunteer basis from

        http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
(https://bugzilla.samba.org/)

                        --Enjoy