[Wireshark-dev] Wireshark PIDL generated dissectors

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Oct 7 01:13:03 MDT 2013

On 10/06/2013 01:19 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 06, 2013 at 01:29:50AM -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
>> For me there is only one pidl and it's in the samba repository. Then
>> we have a 2 big use case:
>>
>> * Samba
>> * Wireshark
>>
>> By the way I take the chance of this thread to underline that it's
>> very hard to get the attention of the wireshark developpers to
>> actually push patches (much harder than the Samba actually ...).
> Which bugnumber(s) are still open?
>
>> By the way it would be nice if other dev in wireshark understand the
>> term "autogenerated" because I spotted  on the
>> packet-dcerpc-frsrpc.c not less than 5 manual changes since the last
>> time ronnie pushed the last version of the regenerated file:
> It works quite fine with asn2wrs generated, because that generator
> is in a maintained state, while it's hard to maintain the pidl dissector
> in Wireshark: While samba was still maintained via svn,
Sorry this is not an excuse I mean you can complain that it's hard to
run pidl but if a file is autogenerated with a big fat warning at the
top you don't modify it by hand. I would have understood if for the
previous changes the dev have asked us and we would have remained silent
that they decided to do the manual modification but here it looks more
like a bit of lazyness sure doing the right fix is more complicated but
in the long run it's a big win for everybody.
>   I used to
> (every few weeks or months) sync the samba changes into Wireshark,
> including the commit history. As I didn't have the disk space at that
> time to keep a copy of the samba repo, I stopped doing that.
>
> I'd like to have a current and working pidl generator in the Wireshark
> sources again.
As I said in another thread:

"We might have some work to do to insure that the regenerating the files
for wireshark is as simple as checking out the samba-tree and running
the pidl command. "

Also maybe it would be nice that I can modify the page
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Pidl to have a simple guide there too, this
page is way too complicated and ihmo not completely accurate.

Matthieu

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team