Folder can be renamed with an open file inside the same folder from different client

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 4 10:32:53 MDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 04, 2013 at 08:49:22AM -0400, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> The Windows behaviour sounds like a limitation of (at least one of)
> their directory implementations.  If the file systems used by samba do
> not have that limitation, reproducing the limitation sounds like*
> introducing a disfeature.
>
> Two questions seem relevant
>
>  1. Does anyone depend on this bug?  If someone needs a file-tree to be
>     unchangeable and/or unreadable during a rename, then reproducing the
>     bug/disfeature is desirable in cases where one is trying to provide
>     backwards compatibility, or perhaps if one is consciously trying
>     provide a strict subset of capabilities. Similarly, does anyone open
>     a file because they need to lock a filetree against a rename operation?

The trouble is we don't know. There are so many Windows apps
out there, that who knows if this is a requirement for some
app that someone depends on ?

The other issue is enumerating the open file table on rename/
deletion kills clustered fileserver performance :-(.

We've done well enough ignoring this so far, I'm tempted to
continue until someone can demonstrate an app that requires
it :-).

Jeremy.